CSCTR offers awards for abstract submissions, including trainee awards to junior faculty (Instructor or Assistant Professor level). The awards recognize outstanding scientific achievement in basic or applied sciences. To be eligible, you must indicate the specific award(s) you are applying for during the abstract submission process. You are unable to apply for an award after the abstract submission closes. Award given only to Presenting Author and only one (1) award per Presenting Author (if you qualify for more than one award, you will receive the award with the highest value). To receive the award: awardees must pre-register for the meeting, and submit a W-9 or W-8BEN. Checks will be mailed approximately thirty (30) days after signed tax form is received. Honorarium will be forfeited if W-9 / W-8BEN not received by CSCTR prior to November 1, 2021.
You must attend and present your abstract(s) as assigned to be printed in the Journal of Investigative Medicine (June 2021) and to receive your award.
Award Notification: Monday, March 15, 2021
Notes: Most awards require additional supporting materials (e.g., letters of nomination, curriculum vitae). Read all award criteria carefully.
Submit W-9 or W-8BEN via fax, mail, or Drop Box. Email is not secure.
Outstanding Young Investigator Award
CSCTR will award $2,000 to the individual who qualifies as the 2021 Outstanding Young Investigator. The Outstanding Young Investigator will be selected from abstracts submitted for the Midwest Clinical & Translational Research Meeting. Abstracts will be reviewed based on independent review and determination of outstanding scientific achievement in the basic or applied sciences.
- Candidate is required to submit a signed "letter of nomination" from his/her department chairperson referencing the CSCTR Award(s).
- Current curriculum vitae.
- Candidate must be available for virtual presentation of his/her abstract as assigned during April 12 - 16, 2021.
AFMR Henry Christian Award
This award was established in 1990 to honor the founder of AFMR, Dr. Henry Christian. Award(s) will be given to the presenter (or first author) of the top-rated abstract(s) submitted to the Midwest Clinical & Translational Research Meeting.
- To be considered for an AFMR Henry Christian Award, check the appropriate box on the abstract or informative case report submission form.
- Candidate must be physician who is post-MD training, including resident, clinical fellow, physician pursuing PhD or other graduate degree, or a post-doctoral fellow.
- Applicant must be an AFMR member in good standing.
Several grants for $500 each will be made available to current K08, K23, and K30 awardees who submit as the presenting author of an abstract that is accepted for virtual presentation.
- To qualify for this award, the applicant must submit proof of their K Award status.
- If the abstract is accepted, the awardee must attend the virtual meeting (April 12-16) and present during the day/time assigned.
Trainee Abstract Award
CSCTR & MWAFMR sponsor a number of awards for trainees (student, resident, or fellow) and junior faculty (Instructor or Assistant Professor level) selected to present a poster or abstract at the Virtual Midwest Clinical & Translational Research Meeting. The award is a subsidy to abstract or informative case report submission fee(s). Award: $150
- To receive this award, the abstract or informative case report of trainee or junior faculty must have been accepted for presentation at the Midwest Clinical & Translational Research Meeting AND the first author of the accepted abstract or informative case report must be three years or fewer from completion of their fellowship.
- The trainee or junior faculty must be the presenter and first author of the submitted abstract or informative case report.
- The author must submit a signed letter of recommendation referencing the Trainee award when s/he submits the abstract or informative case report.
- The trainee or junior faculty must attend the entire virtual meeting and present his/her research.
Early Career Development Award
To be eligible:
- ECDA applicants must hold an MD, DO, MD/PhD, or PhD
- Be a K Awardee (or equivalent e.g. VA Career Development Award, American Heart Association SDG Award)
- Award is intended for junior faculty at the Instructor or Assistant Professor level
- PhD applicants must be conducting translational research within a clinical department or hold an appointment in clinical department
- Priority is given to candidates associated with institutions from the Central region of the United States
AFMR Junior Physician-Investigator Award
This award was created to honor young AFMR investigators whose research project complement an overall program of research, teaching, and clinical medicine. To be considered, candidate must be an AFMR member and a physician who has held a full-time medical school faculty appointment for five years or less.