CSCTR & MWAFMR offer monetary awards for abstract submissions, including travel awards to junior faculty (Instructor or Assistant Professor level). The awards recognize outstanding scientific achievement in basic or applied sciences. To be eligible, you must indicate the specific award(s) you are applying for during the abstract submission process. You are unable to apply for an award after the abstract submission closes. One award per recipient (if you qualify for more than one award, you will receive the award with the highest value). To receive the award: awardees must pre-register for the meeting, submit a W-9 or W-8BEN on or before March 18, 2020, and personally pick-up the check during the Closing Reception in Chicago.
Award Notification: Friday, February 7, 2020
Notes: Most awards require additional supporting materials (e.g., letters of nomination, curriculum vitae). Read all award criteria carefully. Submit W-9 or W-8BEN via fax, mail, or Drop Box. Email is not secure.
Outstanding Young Investigator Award
CSCTR will award $2,000 plus travel to Chicago and lodging at the conference hotel, to the individual who qualifies as the 2020 Outstanding Young Investigator. The Outstanding Young Investigator will be selected from abstracts submitted for the Midwest Clinical & Translational Research Meeting. Abstracts will be reviewed based on independent review and determination of outstanding scientific achievement in the basic or applied sciences.
- Candidate is required to submit a signed "letter of nomination" from his/her department chairperson referencing the CSCTR Award(s).
- Current curriculum vitae.
- Candidate must be available for presentation of his/her abstract on April 2 & April 3, 2020.
AFMR Henry Christian Award
This award was established in 1990 to honor the founder of AFMR, Dr. Henry Christian. For 2020, two (2) awards will be given to the presenters (or first authors) of the two top-rated abstracts submitted to the Midwest Clinical & Translational Research Meeting in Chicago. The recipients will receive a Certificate of Excellence and a $250 honorarium at the Meeting.
- To be considered for an AFMR Henry Christian Award, check the appropriate box on the abstract or informative case report submission form.
- Candidate must be physician who is post-MD training, including resident, clinical fellow, physician pursuing PhD or other graduate degree, or a post-doctoral fellow.
- Applicant must be an AFMR member in good standing.
Several grants for $1,000 each will be made available to current K08, K23, and K30 awardees who submit an abstract that is accepted for oral or poster presentation.
- To qualify for this award, the applicant must submit proof of their K Award status.
- If the abstract is accepted, the awardee must attend the Opening Session on Thursday, April 2, 2020 to accept his/her award and must attend the duration of the Midwest Clinical & Translational Research Meeting to present his/her research.
The Midwest Clinical & Translational Research Meeting committee will select several of the highest ranking abstracts from all submitted to provide an oral presentation and display his/her poster. The presenter will receive a $500 honorarium. All abstracts will be considered for the Oral Abstract Session.
- If you DO NOT want to be considered for an oral presentation, you must decline on the abstract submission form. All Oral Abstract winners are required to be present for the entire meeting.
Trainee Travel Award
CSCTR & MWAFMR sponsor a number of travel awards for trainees (student, resident, or fellow) and junior faculty (Instructor or Assistant Professor level) selected to present a poster or abstract at the Midwest Clinical & Translational Research Meeting. The award is a subsidy to individuals to aid in offsetting travel, accommodations, abstract or informative case report submission fees. Awards for trainees from Chicagoland* institutions will be $250. Those traveling to Chicago from institutions outside Chicagoland* are eligible for a $500 award.
*Chicagoland: Institutions in Cook, Lake, McHenry, DuPage, Kane, Kendall, Grundy, Will, or Kankakee counties.
- To receive this award, the abstract or informative case report of trainee or junior faculty must have been accepted for presentation at the Midwest Clinical & Translational Research Meeting AND the first author of the accepted abstract or informative case report must be three years or fewer from completion of their fellowship.
- The trainee or junior faculty must be the presenter and first author of the submitted abstract or informative case report.
- The author must submit a signed letter of recommendation referencing the Travel award when s/he submits the abstract or informative case report.
- The trainee or junior faculty must attend the conference and present his/her research.
Early Career Development Award
To be eligible:
- ECDA applicants must hold an MD, DO, MD/PhD, or PhD
- Be a K Awardee (or equivalent e.g. VA Career Development Award, American Heart Association SDG Award)
- Award is intended for junior faculty at the Instructor or Assistant Professor level
- PhD applicants must be conducting translational research within a clinical department or hold an appointment in clinical department
- Priority is given to candidates associated with institutions from the Central region of the United States
AFMR Junior Physician-Investigator Award
This award was created to honor young AFMR investigators whose research project complement an overall program of research, teaching, and clinical medicine. To be considered, candidate must be an AFMR member and a physician who has held a full-time medical school faculty appointment for five years or less.