CSCTR & MWAFMR annually offer monetary awards for abstract submissions. The awards recognize outstanding scientific achievement in basic or applied sciences. Additionally, CSCTR offers a number of travel awards to junior faculty. You must indicate the specific award you are applying for when submitting your abstract(s) (except Oral Abstract). One award per recipient (if you qualify for more than one award, you will receive the award with the highest value).
Award Notifications: Wednesday, February 28, 2018
Note: Most awards require additional supporting materials (e.g., letters of nomination, curriculum vitae). Read all award criteria carefully.
Outstanding Young Investigator Award
CSCTR will award $2,000 plus travel to Chicago and lodging at the Hilton Chicago Magnificent Mile Suites, to the individual who qualifies as the 2018 Outstanding Young Investigator. The Outstanding Young Investigator will be selected from abstracts submitted for the 2018 Combined Annual meeting. Abstracts will be reviewed based on independent review and determination of outstanding scientific achievement in the basic or applied sciences.
- Candidate is required to submit a signed "letter of nomination" from his/her department chairperson referencing the CSCTR Award(s).
- Current curriculum vitae.
- Candidate must be available for presentation of his/her abstract on April 26 & April 27, 2018.
MWAFMR Scholar's Program
The MWAFMR Scholar's Program will again be offered in 2018. The purpose of this program is to promote the careers of junior investigators by giving them the opportunity to give oral presentations in a critical but intimate and friendly environment and network with both established and early investigators in their areas of interest. An honorarium will be awarded to the investigators with the highest ranked abstracts or informative case reports.
- To be considered for the Scholar's Program, check the appropriate box on the abstract or informative case report submission form.
- Only students, residents, and fellows are eligible.
Several grants for $1,000 each will be made available to current K08, K23, and K30 awardees who submit an abstract that is accepted for poster presentation.
- To qualify for this award, the applicant must submit proof of their K Award status.
- If the abstract is accepted, the awardee must attend the Opening Session on Thursday, April 26, 2018 to accept his/her award and must attend the duration of the 2018 Combined Annual Meeting to present his/her research.
The Combined Annual Meeting committee will select several of the highest ranking abstracts from all submitted to provide an oral presentation and display his/her poster. The presenters will each receive a $500 honorarium. All abstracts will be considered for the Oral Abstract Session.
- If you DO NOT want to be considered for an oral presentation, you must decline on the abstract submission form. All Oral Abstract winners are required to be present for the entire meeting.
Trainee Travel Awards
CSCTR & MWAFMR sponsor a number of travel awards; for trainees (student, resident, or fellow) and junior faculty selected to present a poster or abstract at the Combined Annual Meeting. In 2018 MWAFMR will join CSCTR in providing a subsidy to individuals to aid in offsetting travel, accommodations, abstract or informative case report submission fees. Awards for trainees for the Chicago and the surrounding area will be $300. Those traveling to Chicago from outside the Illinois border are eligible for a $600 award.
- To receive this award, the abstract or informative case report of trainee or junior faculty must have been accepted for presentation at the 2018 Combined Annual Meeting AND the first author of the accepted abstract or informative case report must be three years or less from completion of their fellowship.
- The trainee or junior faculty must be the presenter and first author of the submitted abstract or informative case report.
- The author must submit a signed letter of recommendation referencing the Travel award when s/he submits the abstract or informative case report.
- The trainee or junior faculty must attend the conference and present his/her research.
Early Career Development Award
To be eligible:
- ECDA applicants must hold an MD, DO, MD/PhD, or PhD.
- PhD applicants must be conducting translational research within a clinical department or hold an appointment in clinical department.
- Applications from candidates with a current K Award or equivalent (e.g., VA Career Development Award, American Heart Association SDG Award) are strongly encouraged to apply
- Priority is given to candidates associated with institutions from the Central region of the United States.